16
Feb
11

Nautilus…

This might not seem like a lot but it’s a huge deal for a RC sub. You got to be able to open and close her and that stern seam needs to be clean. It took all day.

With this 66 inch monster you can’t just go at it with a razor saw. I tried. Nope get out the dremel and the cut off wheel and hack through it as clean as you can.

Painters tape as a guide and I used a laser level to get the cut.

After I got the stern section removed I added a bit of finishing glaze and flat sanded it.

Next I glued the stern section to the lower hull with 30 minute epoxy.

Next more painters tape on the stern section to act as a mold release. I edged the forward section with tape to protect it from sanding and over flow.

Next mix up some finishing glaze and butter the edge and close it tight.

The end result is this. That ragged nasty cut is all smooth and tight again.

Now tomorrow I can add the prop bearing, prop shaft support and prop-prop shaft. With any luck I’ll get to the rudder and elevator.

Now I know what some of you are thinking? Elevator? Dive planes on the stern? This boat didn’t have those. Well she did on sides of the hull but they never were effective enough in the real world to work well.

The 31 inch I builtĀ a prop that could pitch. A real pain in the rear. Never again. But my friend Bob Martin added dive planes to his and they worked great and look the part.


More tomorrow.

Steve

__________________
About these ads

4 Responses to “Nautilus…”


  1. 1 BB43MAN
    February 16, 2011 at 5:20 am

    I don’t know what I’m more envious of, that NAUTILUS or that workshop! He he!

  2. February 16, 2011 at 6:15 am

    It’s just a garage.
    ;)

    Steve

  3. 3 Terry
    February 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm

    Steve,

    Why did you not follow the panel lines that are present, that way when you put it back together the cut would have looked like hull plates connecting? Still very neat and I look forward to the finished Sub.

    Terry

    • February 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

      Terry there are no panel lines that would match where the cut needs to be for technical reasons. As it is I did cut the fins at an angle to match a panel line found on them at that location. But with any RC submarine conversion all bets are off. Get the boat operational and live with the scale inaccuracies.

      Steve


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


February 2011
M T W T F S S
« Jan   Mar »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28  

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 266 other followers

About me


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 266 other followers

%d bloggers like this: