Friday rap up…

It rained very hard. Everyone was crashed out on the bean bag chairs in my show room-edit bay where it’s nice a cozy. But me? I was hard at it in the damp and cold oblivious and absorbed into my Iron Giant. I was hell bent on getting the torso all roughed out.

Last we left off I  finally arrived at a geometric plan that worked for the complicated arm pit and back. It would be a simple task then to mirror the same geometry for the opposite side. It was for the most part but there were little stops along the way. A tweak here and a cheat there but all and all it sorted itself out well I think.

What’s  left is to do the shoulder orbits. I have one out of foam on one side and another out of MDS. The foam seems to be the right thickness.

More on this Monday. Enjoy your weekend.



Concept poster by Paul Butcher

I was searching Google for our show and this came up. I would have never seen it if I hadn’t. I remember well when Paul shOwed me the pencil scetch for this but never the poster.

Wow. He is such a talented artist and I just love this as I do all his art. What a great job Paul! Thank you!



One of my favorites-Friday music video


Continuing on with production…

So there’s this lizard. We never shot with a real lizard because it would have been so problematic we would have been shooting for two days. So the director (that’s I) said those classi…

Source: Continuing on with production…


How about a post?

So a lot of the same stuff going on at the studio. But progress none the less.

The torso for the Giant has been a tough one. Cut parts, add them, look at the pictures of the model and from the movie, move things to the right, then the left, smaller, larger, change angle. Then you find it looks close in some angles and not others. Back again. And bit by bit it starts to work. A lot Harder then it looks.

Now I have one side and the back shaped. Next I’ll make templates in paper and tape of what I have done, flip it over and mirror the other side. This will go fast now that I’ve figured out all the geometry.

Thankfully the legs and arms are a breeze compared to what I just did.

Isaac and I have been working hard on the animation and compositing of our lizard. I knew when we shot the scenes a real lizard would have never worked. Fortunately the CGI I did and Isaac’s composites and Matt work are outstanding to sell the lizard as real. Everyone will just figure it was a real lizard and never appreciate the hard work we are doing.

Like much of the pilot there are live action scenes riddled with CGI changing the landscape, buildings and sky to name a few. But you will just think it was part of the locations we shot in.

Thats what always gripes me about the CGI haters that say “they can always tell”, when more then half the time they are being had and never knew it. 😄


SNG Experience 94 is up!


Friday rap up

Great week. Not as much done as I had hoped for but we had visitors and other things to do this week cutting my time short. However I did manage to get more done on the Giant’s torso.

Actual polystyrene is in place now. The cardboard thing in the arm pit is actually a template for the part that goes there. On Monday it fill be flattened and used as a template to cut the styrene final parts.

The back has been started too. As said before this is the hardest part of the Giant and once done things will speed up.


February 2017
« Jan    

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 299 other followers