Archive for January, 2011

30
Jan
11

New nacelles…

Nacelles are cut. They need a bit of sanding and filling still. I just use balsa filler and sand. I did the inside of the LT nacelle already. What happens when your wiring cutting by hand some times is you snag up on the template or adjust your hand to rotate it. If you take too long to do that it burns a groove. But it’s not a problem as all you have to do is fill it. You’re going to glass it all anyway.

These nacelles are the correct size now and nice and round. End caps fit perfectly as do the front dome assembly. So tomorrow I’ll spend the day pointing them up a bit and glass them on Monday.

Here’s some pictures from todays work.

Steve

Ah a nice bunch of foam on my Z.

Marking the foam for cutting.

Cut the basic shape on the band saw.

Then cut the cross sections.

All the foam cut for all for pieces that make up two nacelles.

First section. Templates on center line with 3M 77. The excess is for the entry of the hot wire. The bow in the background is hooked to a power supply. Set for 12 volts. In this case a common battery charger. Burns through nice and easy. Couldn’t get a picture of that with both hands doing the work.

Cut first section.

A mid section cut.

Once I have all the sections I glue them end to end with 3M 77 on a flat and true surface. This is ready to fill and carve in the rounds at either end of the recess.

Fitted to the ship the slots are perfect and if you compare these to the early balsa nacelles you will see the size difference. I was off and it wasn’t until I finished the end caps I realized this.

__________________
28
Jan
11

The dreaded Pylon angle slot…

For the section that has the slot for the pylons I have a cut out with the exact angle. First I cut the section with the hot wire bow. Both these formers go either end of it. The cut out is taped in. The section comes out round. Then I remove the cut out and wire cut the slot. Works every time.

Steve

28
Jan
11

The return of the Nacelles…

Today I spent time on the PC in Photoshop and made new formers based on the nacelle profile. These formers are tailor made for my foam cutting. Then i printed them out, transfered them to model box cardboard(it works the best, no corrugation) and glued them down with 3M 77.

Next I cut them out as best I can with scissors and sand the rest with sand paper to the exact edge of the template. I use 80 grit to hog them down and then 220 to smooth the edge further.

Next is to coat th edges with thin CA. This hardens the edge so the hot wire can travel smoothly over it without hanging up. After the CA sets I go back over it until the edge is super smooth.

I’m ready to cut foam next. Stay tuned.

Steve

28
Jan
11

New dome cap…

So I spent the day making the new dome cap. Entirely Styrene this time. Went to the local hobby store and through my scrap. Stacked styrene and glued it together. Band saw cut both angled and straight. Sand. Smooth. There’s still the putty pointing to do yet but I have the part finally and it’s correct.

My good friend is bringing by some much needed styrene foam tonight and I’ll cut the nacelles tomorrow. I’ll show you set by step how it’s done. I also go into great detail about this stuff with CGI illustrations I did in my book which is on my web site.

More tomorrow.

Steve

__________________
27
Jan
11

I screwed up!

Well Mr. Old school screwed up on the nacelles. Something went wrong with the wood and they warped so badly I’m starting over.

This time I’m going to wire cut foam nacelles like I should have in the first place and then glass the foam. Nice thing is I’ll do it in sections and cut right n the depressions on the inside and the slot for the pylon.

In addition I’ll be making the front caps over. After re doing the end caps today I plan to make them entirely out of styrene. Most of the new end caps are. The balsa shape is skinned in Plasticstruct and the new end part is all styrene. I had so much better control to make them perfectly round.

Can’t fins styrene thick enough. Stake it! Works great.

More tomorrow. Hey Now you’ll learn how to wire cut foam.

Steve

Nice and clean.

__________________
26
Jan
11

Down to the nitty gritty…

Today I was finally able to get back to work. The puppy has been taking up much time and sleep but she’s getting better all the time and I’m getting more sleep and work time.

Today I was able to make the end caps. They are roughed out and tomorrow I’ll start pointing them up and primer sand. You guys know the drill by now.

Yes I am closing. After the end caps are done I’ll finish off and glass the nacelles. Point, putty, sand and primer.

After that I have a few small parts to do. That deflector. I should have a lathe next week. Could have used it today to do the end caps but they came out well enough.

Then there’s about a week of molding. Once I have the molds I will build two models. One for me. And one to sell or put up on Ebay for bids.

Steve

__________________
21
Jan
11

Sheeting done

Today I got the Nacelles base structures sheeted. A thankless job really. Not my favorite part. CA all over my fingers and the frustration of getting it right is a pain. But I’m happy to be at the end of it. After this it’s on to making parts.

I’m not going to glass the nacelle super structure just yet. Tomorrow I’m moving on to the warp dome structures and the end caps. At this point I just have to see it all together for the most part as it is a dream come true that for so long was only an image in my mind.

Here’s one picture of her all straight and true.

Steve




January 2011
M T W T F S S
« Dec   Feb »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 299 other followers