Archive for June, 2011

29
Jun
11

Got lights?

It took all day but she’s lighted. Randy’s Voodoofx custom lighting package like always wired up and worked as advertised. There’s a lot of wiring, soldering the board to hook up resistors and then there’s all those connectors. I made reflectors from half hemispheres. Tool dipped the bare wiring.

Currently she is light with the static displayed supplied 9 volt power source. A standard 9 volt battery will run her in the water. So when she’s on display in Jeff’s office or shop she can be lite.

Tomorrow final preening on the paint. Got to finish off and attach the head light guard. Paint the bridge area of the sail white. Little stuff while wait for the OR and the radio-batteries.

Steve

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

28
Jun
11

Seaview ready for lights

I’ve spent two days now going over the surface again and again to get her smooth. She’s looking great now. Louvers all blended in and the final paint on.

As you can see the stern seam is pretty darn clean now. Got the under sides of the dive planes in the stern and the sail painted white.

Opened up the underside of the deck holes even larger at Jeff request they are just to the edge of the deck which makes for nice clean looking limber holes. Not to mention the free flooding!

Tomorrow I will install the lights, lens and the rest. We should have a look at her all lighted up by tomorrow at this time.

Steve

Image

Image

Pick, pick, pick, I did a lot of this sort of thing.

Image

Image

Image

Getting these louvers in wasn’t easy. They didn’t match the curve of the Nacelles well as they were designed for the DeBoer hull not this one.

Image

Ready for lights and windows.

26
Jun
11

Daedalus video

Here is a shot of the two girls side by side. A bit soft as I shot it hand held. I’ll get some better shots later.

And here’s that video of the ship in space. I shot this against green screen on my work table. Next time I going to make a track, get more green screen material and shoot in the garage so I can move the ship. I was very restricted.

Star Fields were done in Lightwave. Composites done in Digital Fusion. Edited in Adobe Premiere Pro.

25
Jun
11

Been preening filing and sanding all day. I sprayed on about 4 a layer of primer on which happens to match the correct color. I used white primer on the bottom. Just about have all the blemishes. Still have the louvers to blend in and I fixed the Tesky…I mean pesky seam in the back.

A bit more tomorrow and I can install the lights. Then we wait on the sound board, battery, radio and observation deck to get here. Jeff’s working his hard on all of that. This gives me some time to preen some more, let the many layers of paint dry and clear coat it.

More tomorrow,

Steve

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

 

24
Jun
11

Quicky Daedalus Green screen test

Here’s a crappy little test I did tonight. I’ll try again tomorrow. I need to fix the lighting and flagging and block more green screen spill on the model. I’m having to use far too much spill suppression.

The background was done in Lightwave and one I had on hand that doesn’t match the angle. But I just wanted to see if I could pull it off and with a little more planning and work I think I can. Hard though with a nearly white model that wants to pick up the green.

Steve

24
Jun
11

Seaview gets close to paint

Got the holes cut out so the Manta lights just press in tight. They will be removed for painting.Got the magnets installed for the bottom bow hatch.

Got the deck installed with magnets that seat into deep recesses to aid in proper alignment and hold down. This is very strong and difficult to get open with fingers alone. Good! The hydraulic pressure should not be an issue in popping it off.

Got the seam that Jeff hated soooo much blended. Gone.

Tomorrow I’ll blend the rear seam and close the gap. Go over the entire boat and get the bad spots. Red putty, preen and paint.

Lights should be here Monday and in they go.

More tomorrow. It will be all one color top and bottom. ;)

Steve

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

23
Jun
11

It’s looking more like the Seaview…

Today I installed the wiring for the fin lights and sail lights. Added Deans micro connectors to aid in taken the apart. Then I added the Depron cell foam a trick I learned from Dave Welch. All the Seaviews I have built to date small medium and large have used the same ballast and weight configuration with great success and all based on BigDave’s first Moebius Seaview he built a few years ago.

I added some lead in the keel. I used pounded out fishing weights.

Next I mated the top section to the bottom. Tomorrow I’ll blend the seam away. Before I did that I made sure the WTC would pull out and go back as one pieced attached to the lower stern section. It worked.

Since Jeff wanted me to avoid using a screw if I could I used two rare earth magnets in the tip of the stern with great success. Look Mom no screws!
Tomorrow I’ll pin and magnet set the deck on, clean up the seams and primer the boat. I’ll also add those louvers. Then we are down to preening and cleaning the cosmetics. Lights should be here in a couple of days but they won’t take long to install as the wiring is all in place.

More tomorrow,

Steve

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

 




June 2011
M T W T F S S
« May   Jul »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 298 other followers